With the current heat waves raging across the US & Europe, preparing your winter wardrobe may be the last thing on your mind right now. However, if there is anything we’ve learnt about recent weather patterns, it’s that they’re anything but predictable.
Whether you enjoy mild winters on the West Coast or buckle down the hatches and prepare for the snow in the North and the East, it’s never a bad idea to prepare your winter wardrobe early so you are prepared for when the cold weather hits.
While it can seem like a daunting task to tackle your closet, there are some easy steps to take to make the task a little less daunting. Below, we will cover some easy steps to take to help you prepare your winter wardrobe ahead of time.
Why prepare your winter closet early
You may be asking what the point is in preparing your winter wardrobe early, but being prepared has a number of benefits including:
- Save money on buying winter essentials now while they are on sale
- You’ll be set to go on vacation to somewhere a little cooler
- You’ll feel better about not leaving everything until the last minute
- No need to shiver for a few weeks of winter while that jacket you ordered gets delivered
How to prepare your closet
Tackling your closet is something many of us put off until the last minute and unless you’re uber-organized, it takes a little work to navigate the chaos. But fear not as we have some simple steps you can take to make the task easier.
- Have a clear-out – You most likely have a collection of old jackets, scarves, hats, and jumpers from previous winters that you barely wear anymore. Be strict with yourself and clear out some of your old things by donating them to Good Will or passing them on to a friend or family member.
- Clean the closet – Are things looking a little dusty in there? While sorting your things out, use it as an opportunity to wipe down dusty shelves, get rid of those spider webs and add some scent sachets to your draws for a luxury touch.
- Organize – Is everything piled onto a high shelf you can barely reach? While your closet is looking a little emptier, take the opportunity to organize by installing some new shelving or draws that allow you to see everything you have better.
- Colour code – If you are really serious about organizing your closet, try to arrange your clothes by colour so that it’s easier to put together an outfit. You’ll thank us when you wake up late and are in a rush to get out of the house.
How to make sure the cold weather doesn’t cramp your style
Just because it’s cold outside, it doesn’t mean you have to dress like an Eskimo and abandon all hope of style. Here are some ways to stay on trend this winter.
- Invest in a bubble coat – Want to look cool and feel cosy? Bubble coats are right on trend while offering a super warm layer to keep you comfortable all winter long. Whether your style is urban streetwear or hip hop, there’s a style for every preference.
- Invest in some great boots – Winter boots are essential that are worth spending the extra cash on. Try to choose something that will stay in trend for a few years to come so you don’t have to keep replacing them. A good quality pair will last a long time.
- Get a new hat – Still, got that old hat that Grandma knitted you in the closet? It’s time to bite the bullet and get a new one. An on-trend woolly hat can make all the difference to your winter outfit.
Overall, it’s never too early to prepare your winter wardrobe. So, whether you’re looking for a reason to stay inside throughout the heat wave, or you just like being extra prepared, now is the time to tackle that closet.