Over the course of the last two years, I have met very interesting designers and supported specific brands. In fact, it is not the brands that lured me into the product. It was the designers themselves initially. I am old school, and when I give my word, I stick to it no matter what. If I can’t commit I simply say, I will think about it and get back to you, or I simply say, I can’t do this. How do you handle it when contracts fall through? How do you cope when dreams are shattered? For me, most of the time I get very upset and frustrated. In some occasions where I allow it, my inspiration will be paralyzed.
Mediocrity, it takes a lot less time and most people won’t notice the difference until it’s too late. It has, and will, destroy your dreams if you allow it. Therefore, I write this as an encouragement to you that mediocrity can never be entertained.
The following are quotes by people from Brainy Quote
- Competition is always a good thing. It forces us to do our best. A monopoly renders people complacent and satisfied with mediocrity.
- One would like to be grand and heroic, if one could; but if not, why try at all? One wants to be very something, very great, very heroic; or if not that, then at least very stylish and very fashionable. It is this everlasting mediocrity that bores me.
- There’s a lot of mediocrity being celebrated, and a lot of wonderful stuff being ignored or discouraged.
- Politicians fascinate because they constitute such a paradox; they are an elite that accomplishes mediocrity for the public good.
Let Your Yes Be Yes And Your No Be No
When I make a promise I do it. When I say yes, I mean yes and when I say no, I mean no. So how can mediocrity settle in when people let you down? When contracts fall through or people retract from their word. It’s simple because false hope is a roller coaster of emotions that anyone in business can and will relate to. It is the hardest of skills to control and learn that when someone says they want to work with you, and it all falls through. The best advice I can give you is not to let your imagination get out of control. Roll with what comes at you and when it finally is going to happen, then that is the time to get excited. But when you keep getting knock backs, don’t allow mediocrity to settle in. Don’t allow people to kill your inspiration.
Don’t Give UP
Doors open and close for many reasons and it is how you deal with the situation. This has been the most difficult part of the whole journey with my brands. But there is one thing that I won’t allow to get a grip in my mindset, and that is the lack of inspiration (mediocrity). When doors close, understand that there is a reason for it and keep moving forward.
My 10 Tips On How To Avoid Mediocrity
- Don’t Tweet, announce or promote something, even if they ask you to, until a contract has been agreed.
- Don’t get upset if the deals falls through. It was never yours to begin with.
- Make it clear and communicate to the brand (people) that you’re very disappointed and hope that in the future, they will consider you.
- Never burn your bridges. Walk away and thank them for their time.
- Don’t come across as desperate. Walk away from the negotiations if need be.
- Maintain manners and never end on a bad note.
- Don’t gossip to anyone that the contract has fallen through.
- Do not let lack of inspiration from others settle in.
- Who you spend your time with will have a great impact on what kind of life you live.
- Dream big and stay positive