Glancing through a recent fashion magazine might have you feeling as if you’ve been transported back in time to the mid to late 1960s. There’s been a recent revival of 1960s mod looks and we’re not talking a slight inspiration here, but flat out homage to the max with a very literal mod influence. The spring and summer 2013 runways were full of mod designs.
Jackie Kennedy rocked this look for many years.
Mod Revival from Moschino
Collections from designers like Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Holly Fulton, and many others very heavily referenced that the 60s look bold graphical patterns, vibrant colours, short dresses, heavy dark eye makeup. Other designers were less literal but still borrowed from the period for inspiration designers like Prada, Alice + Olivia, and Michael Kors.
Twiggy, the Queen of the mod.
Some might say that the original mod girl, Twiggy, was the inspiration for all of this. Twiggy (Lesley Hornby) was the world’s first supermodel and the face of the mod generation. She was thin-framed and could be described as an androgynous pixie. She had close-cropped hair, which became trend-setting. She’s, without a doubt, known for her heavy eyelashes, which she created with sometimes as many as four pairs of false eyelashes! It was her pixie haircut framed a face that literally launched a billion mini dresses!
How To Get The Look
The twiggy/Mod Revival look is all about bold graphic, floral and geometric prints, short a-line hems, tunic dresses, high necklines, monochromatic and bright colours, and bold makeup. Accessories include headbands, patterned tights, chunky bangles, cute flats and chunky heels. The emphasis is on playful, fresh and youthful, but with a sexy twist.
Go Mod with Trousers and Blouses
Here are some mod-inspired casual choices to get that Twiggy look.
- Akris punto Print Silk Blouse
- Black & White Stripe Cropped Slim Cigarette Jeans
- Peter Jensen Barbara Sleeveless Top
- Mod Print Capris
- Vince Camuto Contrast Center Seam Blouse at Nordstrom
Mod Your Accessories
Add mod flair to your wardrobe with these great pieces.
- Short Dress from Moschino
- Shift Dress In Triangle Jacquard at Asos
- Kate Spade Claudette Colorblock Shift Dress at Nordstrom
- 10 Crosby Derek Lam Short Sleeve Crew Dress at Shopbop
- Marc Jacobs Colorblock Brighton Khaki Shoulder Bag a
- Peter Jensen Wide Rabbit Embossed Leather Belt
- Speedy Cube Bag from LouisVuitton
- Auden Sierra Cuff Bracelet
- Small Leather Bag from Moschino
Short and Sweet Mod Dresses.
Wear them short and with bright boldness!